What To Know About Homes With Asbestos

Asbestos is a mineral substrate found in certain rock types. Due to their insulating and refractory properties, natural minerals were used in residential construction between the mid-1970s and late 1980s. The use of asbestos as a building material will be greatly reduced if it is found to cause serious illness and health complications when inhaled.

Some older homes also contain gravel vermiculite, a product used as an insulating material in homes before the 1990s. The largest supply of vermiculite in the United States is in mines that are heavily contaminated with asbestos.

Dangerous for health

Asbestos is considered harmless if left in good condition. However, the material produces tiny, breathable particles that can cause serious lung damage. That is why it is very important to remove the asbestos from the house. You can get the information on licensed asbestos removal via http://rynosasbestos.com.au/.

Some of the health problems that can arise from inhaling microscopic asbestos are:

Mesothelial cancer of pleural plaque damages the breast

The worst health effects of asbestos are caused by prolonged exposure to substances in the air, such as during the demolition, rebuilding, or decontamination of homes containing asbestos. Exposure to low concentrations of asbestos, i.e. in a room containing asbestos, does not pose a serious health risk as long as the material is not treated in any way.

How to recognize asbestos at home

There are several common places where asbestos can be found:

  • Ceiling insulation

  • The windows are glass and closed

  • Roof material

  • Siding material

  • Different colours

  • Plaster